Several weeks ago Julie and I were on a scenic drive looking at the beautiful leaves that were changing colors in the Ozarks when something on the radio grabbed my attention. It was Pastor David Jeremiah and what he said was something like this: In times like these we as a Christians need to be with our family of Christians every chance we get. I thought about that for a second and realized he is so right.
Julie and I have been looking for a new church since we have moved to NW Ark. Although there are of good ones out there, we have noticed an increasing trend of churches that do not meet on Sunday or Wednesday night. Most of the time theses churches say they meet in small groups at different church member's homes. They say this meets the needs of people better and allows for closer relationships to be formed among members of large churches. I can accept that but several things about that do not sit will with me. Since when did making a commitment to Christ or church become convenient. Is it too much for a Pastor to ask his congregation to juggle their schedule a little to make an evening service on Sunday or Wednesday. I am as guilty as the next guy. There have been many times in my life when I did not want to attend a service due to the lack of time or energy. The thing that gets me is Christ gave His life for me. I know if I would have been put on that cross I would have thought how inconvenient this is and would have asked God if I could do this some other way. I thank the Lord for not doing such. Another question I have is can't we meet people through Sunday School or through Fellowship Dinners? I can't name one Baptist that does not like to sit around a table and eat? To me if you want to meet people in the church get involved in the activities that occur at the church. Will there come a time when Sunday morning is just too crazy for us to meet as a body?
I am not asking or writing about this to question someones relationship with the Lord. I know there are many people that attend churches such as these and are far more spiritually mature than I. I am just questioning where we as Christians are going. I do not have any problem correlating the state of our country with the state of our relationship with Christ as a country. I will also say this, just because we are looking to the Lord for answers does not mean well have not face trials. But I do know it would affect how we react to those trials and how we see them through.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My family and I attend a church that has over 10,000 members. There are Sunday morning services, which I enjoy immensely. That large of a church has the resources to put on quite a spectacle. There is something to be said about raising your voice to praise God in song at the top of your lungs, and not being able to hear yourself for all those singing around you. Yet if that were all the church offered, it would be sorely lacking.
It is my belief that when Christ came to Earth as a man and took on the world's sin so that we could finally bridge the seperation between us and God, he created a way for us to have a personal living relationship with him. It is that relationship that I hunger for, and sitting as 1 in 10,000 that can be lost.
So we have small group. We meet on Monday nights in homes. Everyone in our small group has small children, so the home setting allows for kids to run amuck while we meet (it truly is a beautiful thing.) It is here in our small group that we can build the strong personal relationships with other believers. My wife is pregnant right now, and we are near delivery time. If we have to go to the hospital suddenly, our nearest family is an hour and a half away. But there are 4 couples that I could call that would be at our house in less than 5 minutes to watch our other children--our small group.
It's been such a huge part of our lives, and I'd recommend you try it. Maybe you'll like it! I had major qualms about joining such a large church, but now I just don't know that we could leave our small group behind.
Oh, and don't forget, "Wherever two or more are gathered in My name..."
Wow sorry, I wrote a stinking novel.
Post a Comment